Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Urgency: The Missing Piece

It was one of the more important fund raisers in my life. The college I worked for was on the cutting edge of employing technology for use in education. A great team of forward looking people each functioning at the highest competency in their respective areas. Leadership, administration, education, technology, marketing and finance. My passion and commitment to the project was due to my admiration to this amazing group of people and all the other support in the extended team.

The months of research and planning had been done, decisions as to how to market and implement were made, and now the roll out. Long days, late nights and a swath of geographical land covered that no one in their right minds would have attempted in such a short time. But here we were holding 'show and tell' meetings with key leaders across the country demonstrating the effectiveness and reach of technology being used for distance education. And that was the mid-90's!

The data was in and it was a smashing hit, a financial advantage, and 'first out the gate' coup. One thing though. We 'early adopters' ran into the chasm between raving fans who work based on believing without seeing and not so raving fans who work based on seeing is believing. Apparently the pilots, trial runs, financial proof, and raving endorsement from the grass roots wasn't enough.

As I look back and ponder the dynamics that were in play at the time I see one element that was missing leading to the demise of the project. Not marketing, not funding, not leadership, not implementation, not incompetence (except of the powers that had lacked in vision) but URGENCY.

To get back to the beginning the fund raiser that was being organized is an illustration of the limitations that can come into play when launching out into a new endeavor. I was on the phone connecting with the office and individuals who were to play a huge part in the gala. One critical component was being led by someone who seemingly was taking everything in stride, as in their own slow bureaucratic time, and tension was on the rise whether there would be this vital aspect of the gala. While on the phone they commented that they understood in such a large event that I would be so stressed. My response to him was honest and is burned into my thinking..."I'm not stressed I'm motivated!". Well I admit somewhat stressed but more so motivated with an urgency to execute well and ensure the fund raising gala that was to be a pitch to community, civic, business, and church leaders would have its full effective. Endorsement and money is important! Without money there is invariably no mission. We NGO types don't want to confess this but its true.

Not stressed...motivated! During the financial appeal segment of the night a very successful and supportive business person approached me. In the Lobby outside the ball room he challenges me and says, 'Lee give me a reason to give! I have my check book out and want to support this initiative but I need a reason...what's the urgent matter here that I can respond to." WOW talk about a wake up call.

I'm a big proponent of systems and processes. However as I look over that period of time in my life I have come to understand what John Kotter means about the missing focus on urgency. "People often say to me “Oh, no, no, lack of urgency is not an issue—our people understand how important it is to solve this problem. We’re beyond that.”

How is the URGENCY quotient in your personal life? In your work life? Is there a culture of urgency in the context you live and work in that make all the other neat elements of work and leadership have full effect?

"Without an organization-wide sense of urgency, it’s like trying to build a pyramid on a foundation of empty shoeboxes". John Kotter



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment